Friday, August 23, 2013

On Being a "Visitor/Tourist" in PA After Moving Away

Since moving to Idaho, Bryan and I are now back in Lititz, PA visiting friends and family and Bryan is completing two jobs that he contracted prior to our move.  It is interesting and fun visiting one's home town after all the big transitioning/moving process has been  completed of trucking one's earthly possessions across the country and getting somewhat settled into the new house.  (There are still projects and moving in to be done...but the biggest chunk of the building and move-in are completed, Praise The Lord!)

As we experience PA from the vantage point of temporary visitors, I have to say that it is quite a fun and different experience.  I am thoroughly enjoying myself as I reconnect with loved ones and am able to focus my attentions upon relationships and engaging in catching up on life with people I care about without the being distracted by my own "busy-ness/routine/life scheduled obligations/necessary-moving-transitions-&-preparations".  I can visit church and get together with friends and pop in on old work colleagues in a much more relaxed fashion. I enjoyed the Mt.Gretna Art Show last weekend and the flood of memories of other years' experiences attending that show and living at Mt. Gretna as a  child during a few summers.  I am enjoying visiting the Green Dragon and plethora of convenient shopping places in Lancaster County.  It is fun to drive around...knowing my way around...and reminisce over fond memories of this place called home for so much of my life.  It is a joy to experience the gracious hospitality of our friends over lunch or dinner or breakfast out and laugh together once again as we catch up on "the latest" in each other's lives.  Life is good!  God is GREAT!  I am extremely blessed!

We will be here in PA through September 26th...extended a few days to be able to see Jenae and Drew who will be returning to PA from their time of travel in Boston (for Jenae's Nursing Job).  Their next assignment looks like it'll be CA for the winter, so we will drive a portion of the westward travel together, which will make for another unique and more fun travel experience as we head back to Idaho. We look forward to seeing our daughter, Samantha, as she returns (at least briefly) to her Harrisburg apartment.  We look forward to connecting with our oldest daughter and Son-in-law, Bri and Joel who are also in Harrisburg. And we look forward to good times with the family as we are all in the state of PA at the same time.

I'm learning that being a "visitor/tourist" in my old home town holds a great deal of joy and fun as I learn to savor and seize the moments that God supplies to engage with people I love, from a freer/"undistracted" vantage point.

And, I smile at emails from my new friend in Idaho who misses me and is excited for my return.  While I too, though completely enjoying my visit right now, am simultaneously excited to return to my new home in Idaho to continue becoming more settled into the future life that God has prepared for me.

Life is good!  God is GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment